Important questions when choosing a preschool
Choosing a preschool is a big and important decision This is where your child is going to be spending a lot of their time You most certainly want it to be a safe environment, but also a fun place where your child can play and learn, with staff that are fun and caring
What makes a good preschool?
Here are some questions worth considering when visiting preschools in your neighbourhood:
• How many staff members are there per child? The more, the better
• How high is staff turnover? A low turnover can be an indication that the staff are happy
• Are staff trained in early childhood education; do they have specialist skills?
• What are the surroundings like, indoors and out?
• Do I, as a parent, have any influence, and how?
But above all, trust your instincts: What was the atmosphere like? What were the staff like? How did they treat your child? Your first impressions are extremely important
What questions do you think are important to ask of a preschool? Add to the list here!
For more information on choosing a preschool, and what other early childhood education options are available, go to wwwteamupconz and click under ‘young child’, then ‘early childhood education’